Sunday, October 11, 2009

how do you do your do?

The kids and I went out this evening to fellowship with a group of people we used to know before we switched churches. The 2nd thing I noticed was my friend had cut her hair. She never wore it long but I suppose I didn't pay attention enough to ask her about it...until tonight.

She told me that she thought it was starting to look dried out. What she meant to say is that her husband likes it shorter (I know this because she has told me how he feels about his daughters' hair). But then I think she may have felt the slightest conviction because she asked me if I cut mine anymore. What she meant to say is that she noticed since I switched churches I have let my hair grow. I told her that I don't but then said no more. I didn't want to get into a very involved conversation as we had just walked in and I hadn't yet spoken to our host, but if she is having the thoughts I believe she is having, we will have the conversation soon.

I spend a great deal of my time reading the Bible. I want to know, as do my children, what the Bible commands of us.

People like to minimize what the Bible says. It is certainly more convenient to dismiss things that might offend or those instructions that somehow seem lesser than others. One of these areas is a woman's hair.

Not only does the Bible speak of hair, both men's and women's, but to me the message is clear. We study and live by King James Version, but feel free to check the Bible you have at home...it states the same thing:

1 Corinthians 11 : 5-16


 5But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

 6For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

 7For a man indeed ought not t
o cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

 8For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

 9Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

 10For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

 11Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

 12For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

 13Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

 14Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

 15But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

 16But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.


I'm not here to judge or point fingers or offend or provoke anyone in any manner. For almost 40 years I didn't read this message and I wish someone had shown it to me.I do not think this is a lesser point than any other in the Bible. It was given to us as direction and I intend to heed its message. As I look around at others I wonder why so many choose otherwise.

So, as my post is titled,

{ How do you do your do? }

I am curious to hear if other women have felt this impressed on them or if most consider this a minor detail that doesn't need attention.

Oh, and if you're curious as to what the first thing I noticed was, I was the only woman wearing a skirt.

2 comments:

  1. I don't consider any of the Bible minor, but I do think it's hard to make a "prescription" from this. How long is long? What if I don't cut my hair and it doesn't grow as long as my neighbor's? Is she more "gloried" than I? What about trimming off the dead ends? Is that a sin? A command is not clearly given in my opinion. What about Samson? He had long hair (as specifically prescribed by God as part of the Nazarite vow for a non-Levite to enter the priesthood). His parents were specifically told for a razor to not touch their son's head. I believe John the Baptist also took the Nazarite vow. Wouldn't this confuse gender issues?

    As to the skirt. I believe in the Biblical teaching on modesty, but I do not believe that means women have to wear skirts. Where does it say that? Remember, men used to wear togas, too. It must have to do with our heart (are we trying to show off ourselves- this extends to jewelry) and not tempting men (hiding, not flaunting our curves). I think some good verses to keep in mind are Romans 14 which instructs Christians to love one another and be at peace with each other over non-moral issues like eating meat sacrificed to idols. Also I love 1 Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." Of course, he doesn't mean ALL things, but all things that are not clearly prohibited by Scripture.

    Sorry so long- that'll teach you to ask what I think. Btw, my hair is medium length- long enough to put up in a scrunchy, but not so long that it takes forever to dry. With hair this thick I'd never get anyting else done around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely do not have answers. I unfortunately was not spoken to by Him like those that wrote the Books of the Bible. But, for myself, I no longer feel the need to cut my hair. What is defined as long? I don't know that there is some magical length. I think each woman must convict herself of that. If I trim my ends and feel I have taken off too much, then chances are I have. For me, once I feel a conviction in my heart I know what is right for me. I certainly don't expect other women to have the same convictions as I but I do hope some message is received from this chapter. Samson and John the Baptist clearly lived their lives based on how the Word was spoken to them. I do not question choices they made for their own path to salvation. I only pray for help with mine.

    The skirt/dress issue (for lack of a better word) is one I have not landed on yet. Moses wrote the Book of Deuteronomy. It states women should not wear that which pertains to men. Again, I think this is a point that each woman needs to feel in her own heart. I now decide as I dress that I will only choose that which I believe is fitting to be in the presence of God. As I have started to pray more on this I am finding I choose to wear only modest dresses/skirts. It's been a complete makeover for me! And another thing I can't shake is the fact that it was written by Moses. EVERYONE doubted his word when he warned of the need to build a boat in a time of drought. We all know how that ended. I'm sticking with Moses on this one even if it doesn't necessarily seem logical or convenient.

    Don't apologize for going long. It was why I posted such a question. I feel this is something women should discuss with each other. Each time I read the Bible I hear a new message...things that at one point didn't concern me are now very relevant. The same holds true when I fellowship and talk with other Christian women.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete