Saturday, October 3, 2009

i made a mistake

When you realize you made a mistake when making a choice for your family, how soon after do you act?


I spend quite a bit of time thinking things over before making decisions. Therefore, before making another, doesn't it seem reasonable to spend some time thinking about correcting it?

We live in a state in which the homeschool laws are not restrictive or demanding and we are not required to test...so we don't. I know my children's level of education because I live with them and see their progress in life.

In a nutshell (yeah, I must have been nuts for what I did!) we have been homeschoolers/unschoolers for 12 years. In the last year we joined the Church. One of the ministries of our church is a private Christian academy. Well, My Sunshine and My Angel made friends with some of the kids at the church who happen to go to the academy and started thinking that the other kids are lucky to go to a school. 


I have always talked openly with my kids and honored their wishes whenever possible. They both told me they would like to stop homeschooling. Ya know what I did? What I always said I would do if they came to me and said they wanted to stop. I went and interviewed at the school. We don't have a principal, so our Pastor acts as such and he was quite pleased at the thought of my kids enrolling. So I paid, and they tested.


And ya know what?! They tested higher than their grade levels. At that point I should have realized that at school they will not get the education I can give but, they wanted to go and after reading the handbook I was comfortable. 


It has been one month and my homeschooled children have been getting A+s at this "academy". It has been one month and my homeschooled children have learned that rules only apply to some while others can behave atrociously with no consequences. It has been one month and my homeschooled children have been sick 3 out of 4 weeks. It has been one month and one of the teachers has cussed in front of my homeschooled children and the powers that be have called my kids liars. It has been one month and my homeschooled children are doing schoolwork they learned years ago at home. It has been one month and my homeschooled children have served detentions for the actions of other students because they didn't play the "peacemakers". It has been one month and my homeschooled children have been told to sit and interact with only children their own age. See where I'm going with this?


It has been one month and I have realized I made a mistake.


So my original question / thought is, how soon do I act? I'm thinking immediately but apparently I don't always think things through.

5 comments:

  1. DO IT NOW!!! I want desperately to homeschool...but my husband won't allow it. I have been at our school...and I feel like every day I am sending my children off like lambs to slaughter.
    So...I would say do it now!!!
    oh...and thanks for the wonderful compliment on my blog today...
    SITS or not....I have enjoyed my visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not sit down with your kids and ask them if they want to go back to homeschooling? Perhaps this was a good lesson to show them what it's like at school. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest. I know it's not Saturday, but I lag. Sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting!
    My Angel wants to go back to homeschooling right away but My Sunshine thinks he may miss a few things coming back home...and he will and that's valid but not a good enough reason for me to continue him in the school. It's not a matter of whether or not we will go back to homeschooling. It's been one month so we never really stopped anyway. I just don't know if it's fair to them to just change their lives in a weekend. Although I have been thinking about it since the first time they came home and told me of the problems I did not discuss it with them until this last week. While I want to and will make the best decision for them, I don't want to cheat them out of the time it may take to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Interesting.
    I would say, "Take them out yesterday."
    I can believe the things that happened to them, but I can't believe that it all happened within a short month.
    I know all life and situations are learning times, and I pray you will make the best decision for them and their walk with the Father.

    (I'm sorry I don't know your family very well, but I was wondering if your husband is in the picture and if he is, what he thinks about it all... though it sounds like he isn't in the picture. Like I said, please forgive me for any assumptions. I was just wondering.)

    :)Be blessed~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacque - Thanks for posting and I thank you for your prayers.

    He is in the picture in a small, but growing capacity. I had ended a very long, very disruptive relationship with him before joining the church (we had never married). I have since found that my purpose is to focus on my children and my home and when the time is right the Lord will provide more for me. My youngest two children love daddy very much and for that he is welcome here. I have forgiven him but will protect my family from any further hurt.

    I am guessing it will be what most visitors wonder and I don't have a problem with that.

    In Him,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete