Sunday, October 25, 2009

we're not wise

We started officially homeschooling in 2002. We had done it prior to that but 2002 is the year we sat down as a family and decided what the name of our school would be and what curriculum we would go forward with.

For our name we (probably more like I decided and they agreed) chose

{ WISE Learning Program }

Wisdom In Seeking Experiences Learning Program

The name itself encapsulated our direction. I liked the idea of unschooling over homeschooling. I believed what I could teach them of life would far surpass any book knowledge they might retain. It has been very successful...
for the most part.

My children are courteous (usually), selfless (as much as children could be), generous - extremely generous, helpful and funny. They are well rounded children and get along well with their peers, my peers, and their siblings' peers. What I imagined for my family those years ago is darn close to where we ended up. I could have been more organized but that seemed to be the complaint I heard from most busy moms so we continued on.

I had always considered myself lucky for having my children and being able to successfully work from home while schooling them but I never gave God the glory for such blessings.

2009 - The kids and I get together with our neighbors for weekly Bible studies. It turns out I hadn't paid much attention in the past to how His Word applies to me and my family. I grew up Catholic and then spent most of my 20's acting as if there was no God and then most of my 30's were spent struggling.

His Word spoke loud and clear to me...as it does to anyone seeking the Truth. One of my first convictions was to realize I am not in control of our lives because they are not our own to control. After foolishly believing for so long that I am in control, there are many changes that need to be made. I  remind myself of this everyday.

One of the changes I felt necessary to make is of course our direction as a homeschooling family. We no longer are seeking experiences but a greater relationship with The Almighty God. Our direction is not our own but where and how the Bible directs us. I no longer plan our day but allow His Word to lead us. We no longer struggle with organization because I'm not trying to put things together in a neat little 6 hour block of time.

David eventually realized that God was in control and would make difficult or remove anything standing in the way of David knowing this. It was only then that David received God's full blessings and it was then that David turned his life over to praising and glorifying God. Psalms is one of my favorite books in the Bible. David's words of praise inspire me to be more for Our Father.

We will no longer use the name WISE Learning Program. Our purpose in school, in family and in life is to Praise God for all He has done for us.

We (and I mean we) have recently changed our name to match our direction
(it is not a coincidence that it also matches our blog name)

School Name: Praise Like David
Principal/Administrator/Teacher: God


3 comments:

  1. Now THAT does sound wise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect name =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! This is so awesome and such an awesome name!

    I wanted to say a great big 'Thank You' to you and your family for continuing to pray for Big Boy. He is really doing quite well. He feels a lot better and went back to school late last week. However, Little Bit, his younger brother who will be 2 yrs. old at the beginning of December, developed a fever at the end of last week, as well, and I'm sure he probably has the H1N1 flu like his big brother. However, PLEASE pray that he dosn't have it but that if he does, that he will improve quickly!

    I REALLY, REALLY appreciate your thoughts and prayers more than you can possibly know. I hope you and your precious family are doing well.

    Hope you are enjoying a wonderfully blessed weekend.

    {{HUGS}}

    Teresa <><

    http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete