Monday, October 5, 2009

what's not to love

It's the most wonderful time of the year. In addition to being able to enjoy all of the awesome colors God has given us, it's the time when we don't have to see those pesky kids down the street anymore; when we can go to the zoo without mobs of people; when the library becomes a quiet place again; when all the kids get haircuts and new clothes - KIDS ARE


Homeschoolers, or unschoolers, as we have been for 12 years, do things a little differently. We don't take a break for summer so my kids don't hate this time of the year. Homeschooled kids don't have the normal worries...Will I like the new teacher? Will I be popular? How am I going to pass the subjects I sometimes struggle with? Will the teacher give a lot of homework?

The questions my kids have are more along the lines of...If we get all of our chores done can we go to the park? What kind of seeds/fruits can we put out to attract different birds in the colder months? Will the pumpkins in our garden be big enough by Halloween? What services can I offer the neighbors to make some money for myself?

They have no idea that the life lessons I teach them all year long are furthering their education beyond what they would learn sitting at a desk listening to someone talk. Don't get me wrong, they have done plenty of book learning and workbooks, but to them it is fun. There are no grades given. If there are incorrect answers I let them work it out until they get it right. We stay on a subject as long as necessary and no longer.

How do I know that they are advancing? Simple. I refer to resources specific to answering this question. (although, this year I made the mistake of testing them and having them in an academy for a month but I convicted myself and corrected the problem)

Before making the formal decision to homeschool/unschool, we read our share of literature on the subject. After sorting through all of it I decided there were three books which best supported our choice, answered our questions, and helped us ensure we were on the correct curricular path. Those books are:









In addition to those great reads, we frequent websites that offer curriculum guides, online quizzes, reading programs, worksheet creators and more. Just a few sites worth checking out:

Book Adventure A Sylvan Learning site geared to make reading fun and rewarding. By choosing a level of reading, type of book (fact, fiction, funny, science, poetry...), and level of testing, you or your child is given a large list of books. After your child has completed the book(s) there is an online quiz to be completed. Based on the number of correctly answered questions, your child earns points. You can set up your own reward program after obtaining a certain amount of points OR your child can choose prizes online which are offered through sponsors! This site is amazing! My children are now rewarded for what they already loved to do!

Beverly Hernandez, your guide to Homeschooling at about.com offers this page FULL of resources Typical Course of Study with Annotated Links

Another favorite here at our house is Geosense "Test your knowledge of world (or local) geography alone or against another online player." My husband and I are even challenged by this one!

Alabama offers us these GREAT resources for curriculum and activities....you have to check out Instructables!!!

These are just a few of the very many sites we use in order to gain knowledge. Knowledge is Power you know. So as others go back to school, we will continue our learning through living. Oh, and don't forget to get to the bus stop on time, those guys don't wait for anyone!


1 comment:

  1. Yes, we too love this time of year!!! I love that our kids do not have to "worry' about things that will never add to their lives! We are so blessed to homeschool! You reminded me I need to plan a trip to the zoo!

    ReplyDelete